Senior Counsel, Pershing Square Capital Management, L.P.
David received his B.A. with honors in American Studies in 1976 from Northwestern University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and his J.D. in 1980 from New York University. He practiced law from 1980-96, culminating as a litigation partner with White & Case. Since 1996, David has worked in the investing world as a principal and general counsel with Gotham Partners, L.P., then as COO of Festina Lente Investment Management, LP, and now as Senior Counsel with Pershing Square Capital Management, L.P.
David’s charitable work includes:
- Northwestern University. Board of Visitors since 1997 and co-chair of a campaign to endow the Richard W. Leopold Professorship in History
- Jewish Community House of Bensonhurst. Director and VP since 1998
- Kaufman Center. Trustee, 2004-2011. Chair, Merkin Concert Hall, 2007-2011. Leadership Council, 2011-present
- Pershing Square Foundation. Director since 2009
- Cathedral School of St. John the Divine. Trustee and Member of the Executive Committee, 2011-14. Chair, Capital Campaign Committee
- Signature Theatre. Director since 2012
- Student Sponsor Partnership. Since 1994, David has sponsored and mentored students in private Catholic high schools
David and his wife Nancy Kestenbaum live in New York City with their children, Rebecca and Ben. Nancy, a former Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York, is co-chair of Covington & Burling’s white-collar group.